NANOWRIMO 2008 - Thoughts and progress

Well we’re almost at the halfway mark for this year’s NaNoWriMo event, the tenth event of its kind and the first I’m taking part in. I chose my STOLEN FATE project for the event, and the first draft currently stands at 15,000 words. I’m a bit behind with it due to other writing commitments, but I’m aiming to have that total hit 20,000 by the 15th. I have my work cut out for me, but it is work that is a hell of a lot of fun to do.

I haven’t taken much interest in the community side of the event, which I probably should, but I think that might be down to wanting to work on the book rather than talk about doing so. I know, that’s exactly what I’m doing here and now, but I’m getting right back on it once this is posted.

So how is it going? The book is deviating from the original concept a little, but not much. This pleases me as the original vision is still there, just rather more honed than before. The set-up is complete. The story getting into the meat of proceedings, characters getting carried away with themselves without much help from me, and the plot is most definitely thickening.

The hard part of it all is keeping going. There is a massive temptation for me to go back to earlier pages and edit, alter and refine, but that must come after this first draft is complete. There’s plenty that needs reworking and polishing, but the threads are coming together and I am starting to have something resembling a first act.

Another aspect I am concerned about is the pacing, which, again, I will look over once the initial version is complete. As I go along I am discovering things that don’t work just as much as things that do, and it is proving to be a frustrating and inspiring endeavour in almost equal measure.

Right, I can’t sit here babbling about it all day. I have work to do.

Follow my progress on my NaNoWriMo page.

There will be further news on this book, and it’s future, soon…

Comments