Striking a balance

I'm working on the STOLEN FATE novel right now, and after writing so much in the way of character building, hints at a bigger picture, red herrings and suchlike, getting to write a MASSIVE action scene full of all manner of chaos is proving to be a hell of a lot of fun. The novel is coming along very well, but the challenge of writing something 70,000+ words in length after concentrating on short stories for so long is not easy.

Striking a balance between character, action and plot is imperative if you want a story to work. Now, I'm saying that as a reader instead of a writer. I don't know everything about the craft and I never will, but as a fiction consumer, the mix has to be just right. If there's too much action and not enough plot or characterization, the book is hollow and lifeless. If there are too many character building scenes and not enough actually happening, then the story goes nowhere and ultimately fizzles out.

And how does a writer learn to strike that balance? Practice. There are countless popular authors out there who will say 'write' when people ask them how they get ahead in the business. Maybe they're on to something. I am going to do my very best to see of their advice rings true. I may not be a household name, but I am having a blast learning how these things work.

Anyway, if you'll excuse me, I have chaos to orchestrate.

Comments