Clerks 2: it’s turning into the new Breakfast Club

I slipped Clerks 2 on again last night while home alone, and came to the realization that it has become an adult version of The Breakfast Club to me. The film that saw me through my teenage years has finally been usurped by what is pretty much its logical successor. Clerks 2 means a lot to me.

I know it seems a little sad to say that a film hits you somewhere very personal, but Clerks 2, for all of its crude humour and obscenities, is a raw look at friendship and coming to terms with life as it advances.

There are some moments in the film that are very lyrical, and the interplay between the characters reminds me a little too much of my own circle of friends. I’ve always said, ever since seeing the film at the cinema with a bunch of friends when it first came out, that it felt like I was living the plot. I’m not, not by a long way, but there are situations and trains of thought in that film that are universal to my generation.

I’m 30 now, and youth is giving way to responsibility, alongside the realization that adulthood is well and truly underway. I’m still the puerile, excitable little geek I’ve been my whole life, but things are evolving and I’m becoming a little more sensible and a little, dare I say it, wiser. That’s the beauty of Clerks 2. You get to see Randall and Dante finally take control of their lives. Yes, Dante and Becky don’t come together under the best of circumstances, but their plight feels real.

Want to give yourself a reality check and remember what it is like to actually feel and think and live? Watch The Breakfast Club and Clerks 2 back to back, and remember that while life is far from perfect, it can be pretty damn sweet.

Comments