SAW 3D: Saw it all before?

So SAW 3D is coming soon. Pardon me while I sigh. The last Saw film I enjoyed was number 5, but even that was stretched out far too thin. Another couple of films later and here we are with yet another one around the same damn premise, with the same damn traps and the same damn everything.

This one is supposed to be the last one, isn't it? I bet you it ends with a twist and an opening for the next film, whether or not anyone will care by then. Plus, releasing this one in 3D just comes across, to me at least, as a desperate attempt to wring another few dollars from the emaciated corpse of this particular franchise.

There was an eighth Saw film planned, but the diminishing returns that the series was bringing in meant that the makers had to incorporate elements of that script into this flick. Hopefully that means there is plenty of plot to chew on as well as gory eye candy.

To really give it some longevity, the makers of the series should have had the grisly Jigsaw torch passed along long before Saw 5. Surely there could have been some more variations on the theme of traps and puzzles. I would have loved to see some set up throughout the city, for example, or a huge puzzle that involved more than just people getting their extremities hacked off.

Although, in the film's favour, it was actually shot in 3D rather than converted after the fact, which at least means it is going to look pretty cool. I honestly hope I'm wrong about the film and it turns out to be a worthy successor to the first couple of entries in the series. I'll wait until I've checked out some reviews before I see it. I do honestly hope this final piece of the jigsaw gives us a satisfying complete picture.

Comments