Train Journey + 99p iTunes Rentals= WIN

A weekend away beckoned for a family birthday visit, and thus two lengthy train journeys stretched out ahead of me. Travelling light was essential, so I couldn't laden myself down with stuff to keep me amused during the lengthy trips across the English countryside. Yes, I could have just appreciated the scenery as we passed it, but I've spent most of my life looking at it, so entertainment was needed. Thus iTunes was my saviour.

Filling my iPad with podcasts, videos, new music playlists and TV episodes, I thought it was time to take the plunge and finally try out an iTunes movie rental or two, just to see how it all worked. The experience is certainly one I'll be repeating. I rented two films for 99p each, namely Hunter Prey and Skinwalkers, good old fashioned b-movies that would be good fodder for my movie site.

While downloading such large files took longer than I'd have liked (more own to our home connection rather than anything else), transferring them was very easy and watching the films was a pleasure. While new releases and big movies are more expensive, it's easy to find something entertaining to watch for less than a quid.

The quality is passable, if not perfect, but for viewing on a mobile device such as an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch, it's pretty sweet. Sound quality is excellent as long as you listen on headphones and not via the built-in speaker.

The files delete themselves after a month if you don't watch them, or after 48 hours once you've started, which gives you plenty of time to get through a flick without having to worry about taking up a load of space on your device for very long. I'm glad I tried it, and will be renting more as soon as I find something tacky enough to keep my eyes open the next time I'm suffering public transport. Give it a go- I mean, for 99p you can't really lose.

Comments