Gearing Up For NaNoWriMo 2011

It's almost that time of year again folks, when it suddenly becomes easy to spot writers in the street by the bags under their eyes, the manic, caffeine-induced stare, the smoke coming from their laptops in coffee shops or the reams of paper under their arms. It is, my friends, time to write 50,000 words in 30 days again.

This will be the fourth time I have attempted to hit the 50k mark as part of NaNoWriMo, and I'm going for a different approach this year. Where in previous years (of which I completed the challenge once) I slaved away on one project for the duration of the event, this year I will be using NaNoWriMo in order to complete a slew of projects and start some new ones off as well as writing some short pieces in there too. 

This work will hopefully exceed the 50,000 word total, and as I'll be writing 50k in 30 days, I'll be sticking to the rules. Why the change in direction? Because I'm tired of being one of those writers with a load of projects 'underway'. I mean, I do finish my projects but there's always something else on the go which needs some attention. No more. Not this time. Time to get serious and get these stories out there. 

And so, this year's attempt from me will be a mixture of finishing fiction projects, starting a major non-fiction work that countless people have suggested I have a stab at, and keeping up with my regular assignments for the press and online media. As ever, I am foreseeing that it will be a struggle, but hopefully this way I will be able to clear my slate of a number of projects that would otherwise be trapped in limbo.

I want to get these things out there for you, get some stuff under the noses of editors and agents who work with my kinda stuff. Most of all I want to have a stack of finished projects rather than a series of unfinished pieces. Time to clear out the 'To Finish' folder and take all of this stuff to a new level.

If you're taking part too, then good luck. If you'\re not taking part, please excuse us poor hacks while we deprive ourselves of sleep and lives in order to get these things out of our heads and into yours. Cheers for that in advance.

Comments