Harold Ramis: Rest in peace, Egon


Harold Ramis was one of the architects of my childhood, one of the geniuses who co-wrote and starred in the perfection that was Ghostbusters. The humour and excitement of that film blew my mind as a kid and shaped my creativity in ways I didn't realise for many years.

As I grew up I discovered the other classics he was a part of, Stripes, Caddyshack, National Lampoon's Vacation, Groundhog Day and more. Whether behind the camera or in front of it, Ramis was a genius of timing and understated humour which never failed to entertain and inspire me.

News of him passing away due to a lengthy battle against a horrible illness came as a shock to a lot of people like me. I didn't even know about it. I guess that's a sign of the man he was – never someone who courted sensationalist attention.

The tributes are pouring in from across the world, many of them mentioning his Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day credits (which is understandable, especially in the case of the massively popular and influential Ghostbusters), but to remember him fully is also to remember he was a director, a talented actor, a father, a husband and a friend to many. Rest in peace, Mr. Ramis. Thank you for the gifts of entertainment you gave the world.

Comments