PANELS TO FRAMES: SPIDEY TRAILER AND THREEQUEL, X-MEN CLIP, WINTER SOLDIER FALCON POSTER, DC TAKES OVER TV


PANELS TO FRAMES: SPIDEY TRAILER AND THREEQUEL, X-MEN CLIP, WINTER SOLDIER FALCON POSTER, DC TAKES OVER TV

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2: ACTUALLY LOOKING DECENT? 

I hated the look of the first Amazing Spider-man film and still to this day refuse to watch it. The Lizard shouldn't look like a Mario Bros Goombah. I just can't face watching that thing. However, as much as I ranted about this new entry, the new trailer (featuring the rise of Electro) is looking much better.

Sure, Rhino is a CG Transformer, the Green Goblin isn't very green or much like a Goblin (I hope he gets the hood at some point) and Electro still looks like a sex toy, but this trailer is showing glimpses of what appears to be a pretty strong superhero film with some genuinely decent Spidey character moments. Could I have been wrong? Possibly.

Mind you, the inevitable smackdown between Spidey, a dildo, a Dinobot and a Power Rangers villain is liable to bore me senseless/enrage me, but that's the old comics fart in me saying that. Get offa my yard, you young whippersnappers!


AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3 CONFIRMED – DATE AND DIRECTOR TOO! 

Marc Webb will once again be returning for the third Amazing Spider-man movie, which is set for a release date of Jun 10th 2016. Here's hoping he's learned from the mistakes made by the uneven and villain-heavy Spider-Man 3 from 2007. Then again, with the formation of The Sinister Six in the second movie, probably not.

X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST CLIP 

A very, very brief clip of new X-Men: Days Of Future Past footage has been released and is being seen by some as an attempt to get some coverage in the wake of the debut of the epic trailer for the new GODZILLA. I love how this X-men movie is shaping up, but I'm starting to get a little concerned that it's way too overcrowded for its own good and may not hold the attention of the moviegoing masses. 

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER – FALCON POSTER

The Falcon is looking badass in this new poster from the hotly-anticipated Captain America sequel. Everything I'm seeing about this flick is getting me more excited for it.

I loved the first Cap flick, but I'd be the first to admit it had its faults. Now the origin stuff is out of the way, we can get on with some proper stories, and I for one am excited to see how much this one delivers. 


DC TAKES OVER TV

While Marvel continues to dominate the big screen in terms of comic book movie output (until the much-debated Batman/Superman movie arrives), it's DC which is winning on TV. Marvel's patchy Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is okay but really inconsistent, however Warner/DC's ARROW is going from strength to strength in terms of quality and audience numbers from what everyone is saying. I may even grudgingly have to check it out.

I never got on with Smallville as it just never seemed to gel properly somehow, but Arrow sounds far stronger in terms of narrative and overall quality. Add to this the forthcoming GOTHAM and THE FLASH and it seems that DC is taking a different approach in building an audience for their screen properties.

It's interesting to see how things have worked differently for the Big Two's properties. A lot of DC's output has the potential to work really well as ongoing Tv series, while Marvel seems more suited to cinemas. How all of these series will play a part in the developing cinematic DCU is anyone's guess. Probably nowhere, but if there was some crossover with the films, then that would be a stroke of genius in terms of world building.

====

(Panels To Frames is my comic book movie column. Usually running over at Lost In The Multiplex, the column is currently running here while the LITM site is down for maintenance work)

Comments