Making My Comics Debut

It's a wonderful moment for me right now. After being a comics fan for most of my life, I'm finally crossing over to the other side of the panels and becoming a comics writer. Well, the writer of one story right now, but I am now looking for other comics gigs too as this was so much fun.

The title? FEMFORCE! AC Comics picked up a script of mine for a solo story featuring their popular character STARDUST, and by all accounts it will be arriving in Femforce 172, out in August! 

Pencilled by Scott Shriver and inked by Jeff Austin, the seven page backup story sees Stardust face off against a new villainess linked to her origins.

With this, I feel like I've come full circle. It was Femforce issue 68 in the nineties which was the first place I saw my name in print. They published a fan letter of mine when I was 15 and I've treasured that ever since.

During all of my years as a writer, from the early days as a comic shop blogger, through my years as a music journalist, pop culture columnist and author, there was always the wish that one day I could be part of a comic book.


In a frenzy of random pitch emails and brainstorming a little while ago, I got in touch with AC about the possibility of writing something, and suddenly it's on it's way! Well, not suddenly, but after plot discussions and a fevered evening writing the script.

It was a great learning experience for me as a writer, as it was my first experience at writing for a character I didn't create and also working in some nods to continuity and the character's history, and I'm grateful for it. It was a challenge, but a challenge that I found energising.

I want more.

I'm looking for more comics gigs in the near future, as quite frankly, this was too much fun not to follow up on. It uses a different set of writing skills when writing a comic script, the style sitting somewhere between a screenplay and prose.

 So I've done it now. I'm going to have my work in a comic. Even if I never get to do another comic script ever again, I've made it into the medium I always dreamed of, and I am thrilled.

To be continued?

(I'll post the full solicitation info for the issue this week!)

Comments