POWERPLAY ISSUE 188 – My final issue is here!

The new issue of Powerplay Rock and Metal Magazine is here, and this is to be my last issue as a staff writer with the title. I've had the amazing experience of 92 issues as part of the team writing for editor Mark Hoaksey's wonderfully dedicated and varied title, a life-changing experience I'll always be proud of, but the time has come to move on.

I'm moving more towards comics writing, with more stories to come in the pages of FEMFORCE as well as more stories in development for other titles to come. Recent appearances in Doctor Who Adventures and the Judge Dredd Megazine have been the catalyst for some exciting times ahead. You can also find my retro horror movie column, inspired by my 2014 book VHS ATE MY BRAIN, in the pages of SCREAM magazine. A new novel or two may be on their way soon as well... ;)

Writing for Powerplay has given me the opportunity to spend time with and chat with some of the most influential rock and metal musicians in the world, as well as a large number of personal idols. The interviews, the countless album reviews and reviews of gigs, festivals, books and DVDs made it possible for me to contribute to the music and the lifestyle which changed my life for the better 25 years ago.

As a failed musician and former DJ, I wanted to be a part of the scene somehow and help it to grow an develop. I hope I've been able to do that – even just a little bit – over the past 92 issues.

My final issue features my interview with blues rock icon JOE BONAMASSA, which also graces the cover! You can also find me ranting in the album reviews pages. The Bonamassa interview was a pleasure to do, and was followed by a spectacular trip to Liverpool to see him play at the legendary Cavern Club as a warmup to his British Blues Explosion tour.

The first moment I saw a copy of Powerplay Rock and Metal magazine (way back with issue 2), I knew I wanted it in my life. It featured bands I loved and bands a lot people had forgotten, scenes that thrilled me and albums that inspired and offered solace where other magazines featured the same five or six bands every damn issue. When my name finally showed up in issue 96, I felt incredibly proud to be a part of it, and still do to this day.

I have been lucky to appear in the mag alongside some incredibly talented writers and photographers, all of whom share a genuine, endless passion for the music we covered. I'd like to say a massive THANK YOU to Powerplay head honcho Mark and all of the bands, writers, music lovers and readers I met along the way.

I end my time as a music journalist on a very high note indeed. Somewhere around the 22nd fret, I guess.

Thanks for rocking out with me all this time. Thank you so much.

There may be an encore of sorts to my music writing career.

Stay tuned.

Comments