A little less screaming into the void

Photo by Simon Harrison
I'm not publishing on here as much as I'd like to. To be honest, with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, my writing, my day job, my kids, life and other demands, I sometimes forget to post on the place that was such a big thing for me. Blogging has been part of my personal and professional life for 16 years now, and the changing online landscape seems to be allowing me less and less time to offer something meaningful here on the main stage.

The micro-blogging revolution of Instagram posts, Tweets and the allure of the FB status could be likened to the thing that old fart music fans like myself often say about downloading music - everyone just wants the quick fix of a single these days, and nobody wants to sit through the full album. I can completely understand  that, and have been swept up by it myself for the simple reason that this is where the current is leading us.

The thing is, there are times I want to say more, to go deeper than a tweet or a vague status, but the platform for doing so just isn't there in the way I'd want it to be. Things move on. I used LiveJournal religiously for years, then Myspace. Facebook, Twitter et al came along and were more fun, then LJ had all that stuff going on that was, erm, questionable, and the world kept turning.

I have plenty to say, but with life being as it is right now, the available time to share what I'm saying is spread thinly across platforms. That's a shame, as the outlet that the internet offers is a beautiful (yet sometimes frightening) thing. I'm working out where my future is going and what I can learn from the past and present.

What am I saying? I'm saying I love you, Internet, and I won't be posting here much. Mind you, you know where to find me, right? That's probably where I'll be.

Comments