On a Spellslingers Binge


After getting through a metric (oops)ton of Geek & Sundry content this past few months, this past couple of weeks has seen something of a Spellslingers binge going on in my world. With its simple concept (host Vs guest at a round of Magic The Gathering), jovial atmosphere and quick-fire game-play, the act of watching people playing an extremely dense and intricate card game has been turned into thoroughly engaging content.

Geek and Sundry have been knocking it out of the park in terms of their offerings lately, and watching so damn much Spellslingers has got me eyeing up Magic decks again. I played a lot of Magic The Gathering back in 2000-2003 as my partner at the time was a tournament player and she got me into it in a big way.

I also sold the cards at the comic store I worked in and during quiet periods there were several times my colleagues and I would crack out our own decks and play a round or two. That was always cool, as customers would join in with the excitement or would ask us about what we were doing and end up buying a deck. Showing your love for the stuff you sell is damn fine advertising, after all. 



I played sporadically after that until I wound up in bands and DJing and spending everything on music and fried chicken, and I look back now and see that I missed the fun of it. Spellslingers certainly brings the fun of the hobby back into focus.

Over the years I kept finding Land cards I'd used as bookmarks and remembering how great the cane could be. Granted, it could also be dreadful when you were getting your rump thrashed at every turn, but that's where the excitement of CCGs is - you can drag yourself to victory even if it feels like you're doomed. 

Building decks to your own specifications and making sure you had enough major cards to save your backside when your life was getting low was a ton of fun, although I can't say I miss opening booster packs and saying 'Plains... Plains... Plains...' as I flicked through a seemingly endless stack of land cards. With so many places to play locally, I may well pick a deck up again sometime soon. Fancy a game?

Comments