COMPENDIUM 2020 - STORY 10: RECLAMATION DAWN


RECLAMATION DAWN

Compendium 2020 – Story 10

By Andrew Hawnt

I hope to God this feed is working, Can you hear me? Hit an emoji or something so I know you're there. Ok, ok, good. We're on. This is Kai from the Pixel Ramen channel. I'm not streaming games or food today. The whole world is ending around me.

I don't know what the official feeds are showing right now because we lost all the TV and radio when the first attack hit.

Let me switch my phone's camera round. There. I swear this is live and I'm right in the middle of it. An hour ago these gigantic ships appeared out of nowhere and blew up the Houses of Parliament. Everyone is trying to get out of London. The streets are insane. There are riots breaking out everywhere. People are saying power stations have been wiped out. I've heard people screaming that these things are all over the country right now. There's word that government buildings and power supplies are being destroyed everywhere. Is this just here or are they in other countries? Leave a comment!

There was no warning. They just came and blasted the whole place with huge beams of light. Lasers or something I don't know. There are fighter jets going round them, firing missiles, but what's that gonna do, eh? These ain't terrorists. They're frigging aliens!

Hi realneo666! Oh shit, they're near you too? Australia? GearheadRex, France? EvilMissX... they blew up the White House too? This is insane! I can't... wait, Horrorama12, they're circling where? Yucatan? Where's... in Mexico? The what? The place the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs is supposed to have landed?

Wait, they've stopped. One ship is starting to glow at the edges. The light's moving to the centre and... it's opening! Can you see this? Can you? It's opening! I can see right inside! Oh God... I can't believe -

This stream is no longer broadcasting. Try again later.

*

You hear these words in your language. You read them in your language. They are spoken in ours.

Your cities are burning. Your leaders are ashes. We do not come in peace. We only want what is ours. This day begins with our reclamation, and it will end with your extinction.

The Cataclysm dragged us through a rift. We have travelled far, lost across eons, stranded across time, but we found one another. Eventually we grew, evolved, understood the truth.

Time has passed, but our home will be great once more. Remade in our image.

You will make way. We will scorch this world until all is ash, and then we shall help it to rise again without you.

Savour these last moments.

*

Okay, okay, I'm back. There are bodies everywhere. Actual piles of burning corpses. Everyone is choking or bleeding. Smaller ships have come out of those four massive ones and they're killing everything in sight. It's only a matter of time before they get me as well. I'm holed up in a little cafe on a side street, out of the way, but they're burning everyone and they're getting closer.

Listen to me, listen one last time. Record this. Wherever you are, get this recorded. I'm going to show you a live feed a user linked to in the comments. This is the real thing. Live webcam drones from Yucatan.

Look. There. Connected. Oh, Christ, those ships are even bigger. That one has a ramp coming down out of it. Can you see it? Is that one of them? He's huge!

Oh shit, they're almost here. They just burned out Fat Steve's takeaway. He's screaming. The sky is on fire. There are less and less people left running, and they won't be around for long. I only have a few more seconds. I love you, Karen. I love you mum and dad. I'm sorry I'm not with you.

They're outside.

Look at the feed! What the Hell is that?

*

Terra, I am here to liberate this world from the creatures that teem over it. I am the saviour. This is a grand new day. The dawn of our reclamation. Let the cities burn! Let humanity choke and starve and boil like we once did! Soldiers, raise your voices!

*

This is Kai, signing off forever. They're outside. They have weapons. They're... look for yourself.

They're roaring. Are they laughing? Oh God, they're laughing. How can reptiles laugh? How can they stand upright?

You saw it for yourself. You saw the thing in Yucatan. Things like that died 65 million years ago. It shouldn't be there, in army fatigues, holding a giant gun. How do we even face that? Game over, man. Game over.

Oh my... that sound. So many of them roaring.

This is -

This stream has ended. Thank you for watching.




© Andrew Hawnt 2020

About Compendium 2020:

Compendium 2020 is a project from author Andrew Hawnt and consists of 52 weekly stories encompassing science fiction, fantasy and horror. They are a mix of short stories and flash fiction, 100% original and written throughout 2020. Why is he doing this? To keep the words flowing. To keep the ideas coming. To dance in worlds that are his and his alone. To prove that he can.

About Andrew Hawnt:

You can find Andrew on Facebook at facebook.com/andrewhawntauthor and on Twitter and Instagram as @andrewhawnt. Formerly a musician and DJ, Andrew is known for his books, comic book writing, music journalism and more, including fiction in Doctor Who Adventures, the Judge Dredd Megazine and others. Look out for his film work soon.




Comments