The Demon and I: My lockdown movie, the buzz and its sequel



A couple of weeks ago I put call out on Facebook for friends to shoot phone videos that I could cut together into a short film. The idea was to give myself and a few friends something to occupy ourselves with during the Coronavirus era and maybe come out of it with a ten minute short I could put on YouTube.

I didn't really have a story when I put the post out, but when 16 friends sent me excited messages asking to be involved, I started sending them lines written specifically for each of them, their voices and mannerisms. I gave them brief dialogue parts that would be talking head type interviews in a documentary. As the only thing I can really shoot on in lockdown is my bog-standard smartphone, I thought it would make sense to shoot some linking footage along the lines of the Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity. Yeah, the found-footage trope has been done to death, but I thought I could play with the format a bit by including documentary-style audio recordings set to odd visuals in there too.

I shot original footage in the house, sat in the car on our drive, in a supermarket car park sat in the car and even while out for our exercise sessions. I pieced this together with the talking heads, audio recordings and free stock footage from sites like Pexels and Pixabay plus music from Bensound and FreeSFX. I added a title sequence and additional music from friends and cut it all together in the video projects function in Windows 10.

Suddenly I had a 37-minute movie. Not just that, but a 37-minute movie which is watchable and makes narrative sense.

I staged a YouTube premiere and got 157 views that night. That was awesome.

I sent tweets out about it to local news outlets, and that's when it got a bit crazy. I got press in the Gedling Eye and was asked on to be interviewed on BBC Radio Nottingham (skip to 49m 50s for my interview). My video views doubled. I went on the radio and had an absolute blast talking to presenter Mark Dennison on-air. Messages poured in about the film, several asking if I would do another.

So yeah, I'm proud of this thing that came out of a need to do something to take my mind off the world being weirder than me right now. I'm proud of making something that gave a bunch of my friends a bit of fun. I'm proud of making something for fun which cost absolutely NOTHING at all to make. Seriously. It was made entirely for free, entirely in lockdown, and entirely for something to do in the evenings once the kids were asleep.

I believe that we have an incredible chance with this era of lockdown and social distancing. We have the opportunity to make stuff and focus on it in a way we can't usually give. 'The Demon and I' is rough and lo-fi, but it came out damn well and wouldn't have been made had it not been for me clawing my eyes out for something to do as a hobby. It would also have been a much lesser thing without the involvement of my friends, so thank you so much to everyone. 

Before I post the film below and the teaser trailer for the sequel I'll be making, here are some bits of trivia.

- The first time I'm visible on screen as John Evans, my sons are literally in front of me and taking a brief break from talking to me about Minecraft.

- In the scene where John is sorting out recording gear, the 'gear' is really a hosepipe attachment, an old phone charger and a wireless plug for my guitar.

- While text in the film says that it takes place in different cities, it was all shot here in Arnold, Nottinghamshire. The footage of houses at the start and the night-driving footage later on are both free stock footage clips of London, which I've trimmed to hide the fact they're not where they say they are.

- The audio recordings of John Evans confronting the demon were completely built in the free Audacity suite. I recorded one audio channel as John, then performed the demon lines on another channel. The demon lines then had their pitch lowered plus reverb and a paulstretch effect applied. The two sets of lines were split into individual audio parts and rearranged in their timelines to form the conversations. I ensured that the two 'voices' overlap at various points to further give the illusion of it being two different characters, and not just me walking around my kitchen and shouting. Once completed, I added a little reverb to the John Evans lines for room ambience and imported an audio file of ambient background sounds. These were either free from FreeSFX.co.uk or original pieces supplied by my friend Huw Davies, who also supplied the voice of Clifton Regent in three sections of the film. While the above was relatively simple in terms of audio production, the recordings are remarkably effective. I'm really proud of what I was able to achieve just with Audacity and a bit of effort. These recordings are a highlight of the film for me.

Anyway. Here's my movie.





Aaaand as I love a quick turnaround, here's the teaser for the sequel.




Comments