COMPENDIUM 2020 – STORY 28: THIS IS MY ROOM

This is My Room

By Andrew Hawnt

Compendium 2020 Story 28


I didn't say you could be here, but still you came. Just like the others.

The house lies cold for a time, then again it fills with life and furniture and voices. This is my room, not yours, no matter what you think.

This will always be my room. I was raised in this house long before you, and your parents, were born. I died right where you are sat, listening to music with those things in your ears. I read your messages, Sarah. I know that Danny has ended your relationship.

I know that your heart aches right now. I know your parents downstairs will try to brighten your evening with a takeaway.

But Sarah, this is my room. Not yours. I am tired of the intruders who claim it as their own. You will be the last.

I'm looking at you right now, my hands against the window you think is your own. You can't see me, though. I may as well be fog. I have gathered so much energy over the years that I can control my form much better than others like me.

I had a name too, once. I have been this thing far longer than I was alive, so a name has no meaning now. I had friends and a family and a dog and heartbreak. I had parties and love.

Eventually I had hands around my throat, and I left my body behind. Time moved on, but still the house stood.

I'm watching you now, Sarah, as you prepare for bed. You put on the oversized t-shirt you love and the polka dot shorts. You brush your teeth. Check your teenaged skin for blemishes. Don't worry, you will always be this beautiful now.

I'm watching you lay down to sleep. So delicate. I'm forcing the energy I have gathered into my transparent hands, making them real. The excitement of touching human flesh again after so long is almost too much to handle.

But I have to.

I'm reaching for your throat now, Sarah.

This is my room.

Not yours.


© Andrew Hawnt 2020

============

 About Compendium 2020:

Compendium 2020 is a project from author Andrew Hawnt that consists of 52 original short stories, flash fiction stories and vignettes given away for FREE in 2020. Featuring science fiction, fantasy, horror and more, this began as a personal quest and due to the weirdness of 2020 has become an ambition to provide free distractions for anyone who needs them. About Andrew Hawnt: Andrew is based in Nottingham, England. Known for his music journalism career, comics writing and film critique work, Andrew is a prolific writer and is the author of a growing stack of books, including the cult hit VHS Ate My Brain. He made the movies The Demon And I and The Demon And I: Birthrite completely in lockdown with cast members filming their scenes remotely, and new films are coming. Andrew is also the creator and presenter of the YouTube shows Planet Hex and Turn One Shock as well as the video versions of the Compendium stories.

Comments